Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What is the correct interval for changing timing belt for a VW Passat 2006 plate 2 litre FSI (petrol)?

I own a '06 GTI with the same engine. Since the owners manual did not specify when to change timing belt, I e-mailed VW of America.

Here is their punctual reply.

The timing belt must be inspected at 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, thousand miles. If it shows signs of wear replace it immediatly. In any case it should be replaced at 110k miles . That is the 'official ' answer from VW.

I have just performed my 60k service and the dealer says my belt is in good shape. However, I shall replace the belt at 80k as a hedge against breakage. [I 'd rather spend $300. than $4,000. ].

By the way , has this engine given you the turbo-thrills and driving excitement , plus the rock-solid reliability, that my GTI has? Wonderful car.
What is the correct interval for changing timing belt for a VW Passat 2006 plate 2 litre FSI (petrol)?
Most factories recommend changing a timing belt at 60,000 miles, and a timing chain at 100,000.
  • car purchasing advice
  • How do i wash my duvet cover
  •