Friday, September 23, 2011

When should I get my timing belt changed?

I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. Bought it when it had 106k miles on. Do not know if they ever changed the timing belt %26amp; I am now up to 145k miles on it. When am I suppose to get that changed??



I can't find anything on the web about when I am suppose to get it changed. %26amp; I am worried it may break %26amp; ruin my engine soon.



Advice would be great!! Thanx
When should I get my timing belt changed?
manufactuers recommend every 60-80K.

I think every 100K would be fine
When should I get my timing belt changed?
If you don't know when it was last changed, consider yourself lucky that you drove nearly 40k miles without doing thousands of damage to the engine. So go do it tomorrow.



And replace the water pump while you're at it.
You should change it every 60k miles. If it breaks, your pistons will clash into your valves. That means a new engine.



Get it done. :P
That belt should be be done every 90,000 miles along with the water pump. so it probably wouldn't hurt to change it soon.
I'd have it changed and then replaced again around 200,000 miles or so.