Thursday, September 15, 2011

What else should I replace when changing out my timing belt?

I'm looking at replacing my timing belt in my 1997 Honda Prelude. I have the timing belt, balancer belt, and water pump ordered already. I was wondering if there was anything else that I should order while I have everything taken apart. Thanks.
What else should I replace when changing out my timing belt?
balancer belt? you mean timing belt tensioner....



water pump



cam and crank seals



drive belts, if needed
What else should I replace when changing out my timing belt?
Sounds like you have the basics covered. Depending on the millage, I would suggest Cam and Crank Seals if leaking or showing signs of cracking or leaking. Do not forget a timing cover Gasket. It will help keep dust, dirt, and oil off the timing belt. The K22 or B16 engine does not like RTV for gasket material.
tensioner bearing, crank case and camshaft oil seals
Along with those belts I would change the belt tensioner, crankshaft and camshaft seals. I would also check the motor mount for cracks since you have to get the timing belt out.