Thursday, September 15, 2011

When can i change my 1996 Honda accord timing belt it is 76k right. am planning to change at 85k is it OK?

I recently got 1996 honda accord it has 76k miles on it can u please suggest what is the best time to change timing belt.

What is Honda suggestion. am planning to change at 85k is it fine or should be before that.Please suggest me Thanks
When can i change my 1996 Honda accord timing belt it is 76k right. am planning to change at 85k is it OK?
85k is fine. Most people do not change it at all and go 150-250k miles without having an issue. Better to be safe than sorry but if you cant do it before 85k than it is no sweat.....and if anyone says different they are the same geniuses that fall for the extended warranty scams
When can i change my 1996 Honda accord timing belt it is 76k right. am planning to change at 85k is it OK?
60,000 miles........76,000 is a long time for a belt designed in 96...i would change it now ...because if it breaks ,u will also learn how to remove a cylinder head,because some of the valves will be bent.........don't wait till 85,000
check the timing and if it's still set right and the car's running fine I'd wait. It's only an extra 9k miles. that's what six monthe depending on your driving habits.
I hear this all the time,,,I'm a licensed car dealer that sells on mostly on ebay,,,,it's recomended to change the timing belt at 85k but on my 1995 toyota celica, its still the same belt at 150k,,,original belt,,,some are timing chains,,,,since its japanese car don't worry about it till about 115kmiles,,,american cars yes 85k would be pushing it,,,just quality issues,,,japanese cars have superior workmanship,,,america is catching up and thank god...
If the car hasnt been abused and you dont beat on it either I would not lose too much sleep about this.... I have seen these cars last well over 100000 miles without a belt change... Sure it should be done soon just because of the age but if your budget dictates you wait a bit then dont drive yourself nuts thinking about this.... I have forgotten more about these hondas than I care to remember so check this...... Some of those Honda engines have the water pump in front of the timing belt.. Have that changed as long as its off... If the mechanic wants extra remind him theres no more work involved because the pumps off anyways... he he balks then get another mechanic... Better yet - You buy the pump and gasket and point out he should put those on instead of the old one....... Hope this helps....
You'll be fine, but I would check the condition of the belt before I relax...
It will go until 140k before it breaks