Friday, September 23, 2011

I have a 2001 lexus is300 my friend said that the timing belt needs changing at 60000 miles. Is that true?

Well

If it breaks while youre driving youll need a new engine

Are you having a problem with the car?
I have a 2001 lexus is300 my friend said that the timing belt needs changing at 60000 miles. Is that true?
I guess I need to change mine then. I have a 2001 IS300 with 195,000 miles on it and it has never been done. Pushing my luck? lol

Report Abuse


I have a 2001 lexus is300 my friend said that the timing belt needs changing at 60000 miles. Is that true?
Yep, 60,000 is overdue, not a big job, but should be done by a professional.
Yes...if not by miles, but by years. Lexus says to change it every 60k-90k, or every 5 years.
That's a load of crap. Honestly..... I've seen timing belts last over 150k miles no problem. I'd still change it at around 100k miles just to be safe.- and NO that guy who said you need a new engine if the belt breaks is obviously smoking crack and knows zippo about cars.
not true at all, i have the same engine in my 00 es300, i changed it at 95k, i read on lexus forums where people dont change them until 100+
Yes it is true every 5 Years or 60,000 miles.



And for the guy above the ES300 and IS300 do not have the same engine. The ES uses a 1MZFE V6 from the Camry V6, Sienna, Avalon, Solara, RX300 and Highlander. While the IS300 uses a 2JZGE VVT-i I6 from the SC300, GS300, and Toyota Supra. These are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENGINES
If you want to play it safe, change the timing belt at 60,000 miles. If it breaks, it will not damage your engine. I repeat, it will not. Your engine will stop and you will need to have it towed. The only way to tell if your car needs a new timing belt is by a visual inspection your mechanic can do. Our 1994 ES 300 had about 150,000 miles on the original timing belt. It didn't break, but we felt we were pushing our luck, so we had it changed with the water pump. Our car was totalled in an accident with 236,000 miles and was on the second timing belt.



You need to decide how important it is for preventative measures. If you cannot lose time with a breakdown, then spend the money and do it now. I use the same rationale for brake work. Some people want their brakes changed if there is only 10,000 miles left, while other want to run them down to the wear indicators. It all depends on you.



Good luck!



Greg