Friday, September 23, 2011

Why does my neon run really loud and rough after changing the timing belt?

I have been a mechanic for many years and believe that I know what I am doing when I go about doing things like changing a timing belt. I just put a timing belt on this 99 Neon that has a 2.0 SOHC engine that a man stated that the timing belt broke while sitting still. I really believe that the new timing timing belt that I put on is lined up correctly. I have done this a few times before on a Neon. When I crank the car, it runs really, really loud and rough if I hold my foot on the gas and it will not idle. Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you.
Why does my neon run really loud and rough after changing the timing belt?
First it's Dodge so it has that shitty design from Dodge called an interference Engine so that means if you break the timing belt while driving or miss it by a lil..it means that you're gonna need a new engine for sure..and for that year and model of car..its not worth it.
Why does my neon run really loud and rough after changing the timing belt?
if the car was running when it broke you will need to do a valve job, only because the 2 liter neon motor is what is call an interference motor, meaning that the pistons and valves come within millimeters of each other during operation. So when the timing belt goes it smashed the valves into the head, causing ruff running conditions or no idle
Copied from another site:



%26quot;The 2.0 Liter SOHC and DOHC engines used in the Neon are interference engines. if the timing belt broke while driving there is about a 6 in 10 chance a valve came in contact with the piston. The only way to know for sure is to replace the belt and perform a compression check to see if any valves are not sealing.%26quot;