Thursday, September 15, 2011

Have a 2003 Lexus ES with 18K miles. Owners manual suggests changing timing belt due to age. Should I?

It is possible that the rubber has cracked due to age. The Toyota engine is not a valve-eater when the timing belt breaks, the car will just stop. (You can verify this with a quick call to Lexus or Toyota). Honda's eat the engine, but your car will just stop if the belt breaks. Many Toyota dealers will perform this if there is not a Lexus dealer nearby, and you will save $$ by going there. Myself, I would do it, just to be safe.



My Acura required a belt change at 105,000. I did it at that mileage exactly. The old belt looked like it had just come out of the box. However, at 210,000, I will do this again, because who knows? It could be ready to go, and I don't want to take the chance.



Nice cars should be kept nice!
Have a 2003 Lexus ES with 18K miles. Owners manual suggests changing timing belt due to age. Should I?
Don't pay any attention to the factory's recommendation. You can save a couple of hundred now and if the belt slips or breaks it won't cost more than a few thousand to repair the engine.
Have a 2003 Lexus ES with 18K miles. Owners manual suggests changing timing belt due to age. Should I?
Well it SHOULD be fine but i mean if it break your engine is basically shot so i'd do all the recommended maintenance just to insure your car runs its best and it will last longer.
18K miles is not very much. You should prob's do that at about 50k
  • spanish name for boy
  • software
  •