Tuesday, October 25, 2011

When should I change the timing belt on a 1998 Crown Victoria?

The car runs excellently. I have no problems with the car at all. I just use it every day for about 50 miles, and on weekends for about 250 miles. I just want to treat her right. When should I change the belt to avoid a sudden breakdown?
When should I change the timing belt on a 1998 Crown Victoria?
no belt and timing chains can last the life of a vehicle i've never changed one in any car i have owned
When should I change the timing belt on a 1998 Crown Victoria?
Duh! The Ford Crown Victoria has a chain driven cam. There is no timing belt!



The timing chain will begin to get a little sloppy between 80000 and 100000 miles and I would recommend changing the timing chain around 100000 miles.
My rule of thumb is 100K, although some people suggest changing it sooner.



I don't think the '98 Crown Vic has an 'interference' engine (meaning that if the timing belt snapped, it wouldn't be in danger of bending/breaking valves, or punching holes in pistons), so it isn't nearly as important as on some newer cars.



It's not that hard to do yourself if you are fairly mechanically inclined. I usually suggest changing the water pump while you are in there.