Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Should I change the timing belt/chain on my Toyota Camry?

I have a 2004 Toyota Camry and I just hit 100,000 miles. When should I change the timing belt/chain? My car is still running fine; just like the day I bought it.
Should I change the timing belt/chain on my Toyota Camry?
your maintenance schedule should tell you when to change belt but chains have no maintenance and should not be serviced until making noise, that usually doesnt happen until 200,000 miles, belts are a different story and need regular service, anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 miles depending on motor, you need to know which type of engine you have.
Should I change the timing belt/chain on my Toyota Camry?
change it...it usually doesnt get bad slowly ...it snapps and leaves you on side of road..[usually at night in rain in bad %26quot;hood%26quot;]
the owners manual probably recommended changing it around 80k.

You need to change it even if your car is running fine. I had one brake(my car ran fine up until it did) and it caused my pistons to hit and bend my valves. It cost about $1400 to fix and that was because a friend did the work for me. It is recommended you change them to keep that from happening to you.
Your 2004 Camry has a maintenance-free timing chain if you have the 4 cylinder. You shouldn't have to change it. If it's the V6, you have a timing belt and it has to be replaced at 100K I believe. Newer timing belts tend to have longer intervals than the ones of the past. Also, if you have a V6 and the belt does break, it is a non-interference engine. That means that there's enough clearance that if the valves stop moving (ie. timing belt breaking), the pistons one crash into them and cause damage while you're driving. You just get your car towed to the shop, get a timing belt replacement service and you drive away.
2003-2006 Model camries have 2 types. The 2.4i engine has a timing chain - which should never need replacing. The 3.3L V6 has a timing belt, and should be replaced every 100,000 miles - so if you have a 3.3L V6 camry you should get it worked on sometime soon.



The good news is you do not have an interfearing engine - so even if it does brake (yes you'll be stranded) but at least your car will be repairable - unlike most hondas which DIE if their timing belts break.